Having the right snacks on hand can make or break a game day party, and we’re getting ready for pro football’s biggest event of the year with Sun Devil Nachos! Show your pride for ASU Online and Sun Devil Nation with this easy-to-prepare recipe featuring a mix of chicken, chips, and tomatoes, topped with edible versions of our school colors - maroon hot sauce and golden cheese.
We hope you have a happy and safe game day celebration, and be sure to share this recipe with friends and family on social media!
Sun Devil Nachos
Chicken (2 or 3 breasts)
Mexican cheese mix
Pico de gallo or chopped tomatoes
Velveeta (or gold colored cheese)
Hot sauce (maroon colored, or add chipotle powder for color)
1. Make a taco seasoning, or purchase a ready-to-go pack.
2.a For grilled chicken, season the chicken breasts with the mix, then grill until cooked through. Cut cooked meat into strips or chunks.
2.b For shredded chicken, cook the chicken breasts in the taco seasoning with a cup of chicken stock for 5 minutes on both sides, until the chicken is evenly cooked and can be easily shredded with a fork.
3. Preheat the oven to 350º.
4. Arrange a single layer of tortilla chips on an oven-safe plate or foil-covered baking sheet. Sprinkle the chips with cheese and then add chicken; repeat twice more until you have three layers of chips, cheese and chicken. Bake just until the cheese melts, approximately 5 minutes.
5. Top with your choice of pico de gallo or chopped tomatoes, then choose from extras like black olives, black beans, corn or jalepeños. Sour cream and guacamole also make good additions.
6. Add the final touch - the Sun Devil Drizzle. Make a mix of hot sauce and chipotle powder until the sauce is a dark maroon color. Heat 4 tablespoons of Velveeta in the microwave until evenly melted. Drizzle the Velveeta over the nachos, then drizzle the chipotle hot sauce over the nachos.
There you have it, a tasty dish that’s sure to satisfy even the most devilish of appetites!